BELFAST AREA NAMES AWARD WINNERS
The Belfast Area Chamber of Commerce tallied weeks of online voting for their Annual Awards Night and presented their annual Chamber Awards to businesses and individuals who have made significant contributions to the prosperity and vitality of Belfast and Waldo County.
This year’s voting was robust with over 300 people casting their votes!
The 2019 winners are:
- New Business Award – Maine Ocean School sponsored by Bangor Federal Credit Union
- An innovative state Magnet School, dedicated to our marine heritage and to the future of science and industry in our Midcoast
- Growth Award – Toddy Pond Farm – sponsored by Bangor Savings Bank
- A shining example of entrepreneurial farms growing across Maine, with young families working our land and feeding our communities. Toddy Pond Farm’s wonderful Grill & Chill Friday night community dinners attracted over 100 people each week to experience and share what we love about Waldo County.
- Hometown Heritage Award – Belfast Co-op – sponsored by Nordic Aquafarms, Inc.
- The Belfast Co-op is a pillar of the local community, dedicated to local food and local business, in a way that is community-led and community-centered.
- Waldo County Business Award – Searsport Shores Ocean Campground – sponsored by Damariscotta Bank & Trust
- A wonderful example of community-building in a small Midcoast town, with a respect for nature, sustainability, the arts and peaceful co-existence
- Chamber Appreciation Award – Ryan Otis of Rollie’s Bar & Grill – sponsored by Maine Chevy Dealers & Dutch Chevrolet
- A strong leader of the Belfast business and charitable community, Ryan is ready to help a good cause, another business person or a neighbor whenever it is needed. His business skills and vision for Belfast have contributed to the success of the City and the region
- Citizen of the Year Award – Mary Weaver of the Playhouse Theater in Belfast
- A beloved and respected thespian, director, producer, fundraiser, baker and community organizer, Mary has contributed her arts and her love of children and community for so long, and for the benefit of so many families and individuals. She gives tirelessly of herself so that others may experience joy and growth. She is a community treasure.
This year’s Awards were presented on Saturday, November 16th at the Hutchinson Center in Belfast. The reception began at 5 pm, featuring a band, cash bar and a range of catered hearty appetizers. Very brief welcoming remarks and the Annual Award presentations followed at 6:30 pm, with dessert at 7:30 pm. Camden National Bank was the generous Major Sponsor for the event.
The Chamber’s mission is to improve economic prosperity across Waldo County through networking, education and promotion of the region and its businesses. More information and online registration is available at www.belfastmaine.org/chamber-awards.